Subject: RE: [Leica] OT Cyanotypes/Tintypes/Daguerrotypes and more...
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:55:00 +0100

Pablo asked about practical books on alternative processes, and I offered to
check out a book called Spirits of Salts by Randall Webb and Martin Reed
(published by Argentum).

Here, in case anyone else is interested, is a brief description of the
processes described therein:
Making paper by hand
Handling chemicals
Coating paper
Exposing
Salt printing
Albumen
POP
Van Dyke and Kallitype
Cyanotype
Pellet prints (positive cyanotype)
Platinum and palladium
Bromoil
Oil printing
Carbon Printing (including making carbon tissue)
Gum printing
Casein printing
Photo engraving (including the traditional feather for wiping the bubbles
off the plate in the acid)
Photogravure (begins 'Nobody has ever said that this process is easy.')
Photo-silkscreen
Cliche Verre
Bleach-etch
Solvent transfer

Typically each process has the following sections:
description
shopping list
negatives
paper
method
trouble shooting.

The list of suppliers is biased towards the UK, but Europe (isn't that
somewhere just outside Moscow?) and N America get some coverage (even
Canadia is mentioned, but only once).
It is comb wire bound (not spiral wire), and the back cover falls off
automatically.

It is available for about UKP 15 (published price UKP 22.50).

I have nothing to do with the publishers of this book, and certainly nothing
to do with the binders - though I did act as a guy who kept complaining
about low standards in bookbinding in a short comedy movie called 'Glue'
last year.

Regards,
Malcolm
On topic: Could you tell the difference between one of the lenses in your
reading glasses and the 135 Apo-Telyt-M if you print using any of these
processes?

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Cyanotypes/Tintypes/Daguerrotypes and more...)
Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] OT Cyanotypes/Tintypes/Daguerrotypes and more...)