Subject: Re: [Leica] Copyright questions
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:25:11 -0700

>>Then again, some court decisions have held that a shopping mall is
sufficiently
public that photography cannot necessarily be prohibited, if I remember
correctly (sorry, no citations handy).<<

Although the Supreme Court wavered on this a little bit in the late
'60s/early '70s, the current state of the law is that there is no right of
first Amendment access to a privately owned shopping center under the
federal consitution in the U.S. This means that you do not have any
constitutional right to take photographs (an act of "speech" for first
Amendment purposes) in a privately owned mall over the owner's objections.
(This assumes that you are "in" or "on" the private property while you are
attempting to photograph.)

This stems from Hudgens v. NLRB (1976) 424 U.S. 507. However, California has
interpreted its own state constitution as conveying such a right and this
has been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court (Pruneyard Shopping Center v.
Robins (1980) 447 U.S. 74). As far as I know, this view has not been adopted
by any other states. The bottom line: in California you have first Amendment
rights in a privately owned mall; in the rest of the United States you
don't.

Bryan