Subject: Re: [Leica] Venting about photo ethics (formerly Copyright)
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:28:53 -0400

on 6/19/01 12:37 PM, Rodgers, David at david.rodgers@xo.com wrote:

> Why should any business, or artists ever be angry at having their work
> photographed? There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Well if the intention of the person photographing it is to rip it off, they
have every right to object.

Of course that's very RARELY the intention.

You photograph a car, that's publicity.

You photograph a photograph, that's a potential ripoff.

Ironically, the websites with the most paranoid warnings of dire
consequences if you use the photos without permission are usually the ones
with the least interesting photographs.

Quite what the potential ripper-offer is going to do with a 6-quality 600
pixel wide jpeg of a not-very-good-picture is a mystery to me.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com