Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon Scan 3.1 update
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:47:21 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> What are the most important improvements over Nikon Scan 2.5? I just installed this
> one, and on first impression the scan itself looks pretty much the same, and I
> actually preferred the old user interface. I am sure I am missing something and will
> print out and study the manual later today, but if you have some hot tips in the
> meantime, it would be great (I have an LS-2000).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Nathan

Here this is and I at least not continue with it further as it's a little off
topic perhaps.

The new interphase LOOKS a lot better, cute little tabs all in a row but perhaps
you disagree.

You've got a few more multiscanning options. 1 2 4 8 16

I can pick greyscale RGB or CMYK with out turning the  Nikon color control on
and off.

The cropping and resolution controls are more friendly, courteous and kind. And cheerful.
The LCH editor was not in the previous version and marks a whole new concept in
color control to the extent that i have NO CLUE what the hell it is. But it sure
looks like fun! Looks promising.

All controls seem much more accessible and clearly laid out.

Digital ice cubed one would seem would be an improvement but still won't work on
 Tri x or Kodachrome 200 films. It's the same machine after all. I never used
the other ice but I'm told this time now that it's cubed I'll end up using it.
What was it before crushed? Crushed ice?

I'm sure they delayed the drivers on this because people becoming reenthralled
with thier scanner will not buy these new ones. Not that they'd not be worth it anyway.

I've feeling like it's faster! Could that be true?
The scans are more accurate. I'm doing less color balancing and contrast and
density tweaking after the scan.

4 different pre scan modes. You'll have to see what they are. We didn't have
that before. This may be good.

I think once you give it a whirl you'll be sold. And any thoughts of putting
money into third party expensive software will vanish.

This just works! And it's free! And it has not crashed once on my G4!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/