Subject: Re: [Leica] Robert Capa Photo
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:02:20 -0400

on 6/20/01 7:14 AM, Alan Hull at hull@telia.com wrote:

> I have always been fascinated by that photo because to me it screamed
> FAKE.  I cannot see how anybody can have reactions quick enough to have
> captured that image unless he was taking a portrait of the soldier and
> at the instant the shutter was pressed the poor guy took a bullet in
> the chest.  This is my opinion not of a photographer but as an
> ex-soldier.
I guess you have never seen the photograph of Jack Ruby murdering Lee Harvey
Oswall.  Another killing moment in photographic history.  Since I was in
front of Jackson that morning,  using a motion picture camera,  my film when
examined frame by frame shows that Jackson's reaction allows for the barrel
flash to preceding  his exposure by just 1 frame (at  24 frames per second
plus or minus).  Yes,  it is possible to capture a fatal moment on film.  It
is also possible, I suppose,  that some unknown person has seen some roll of
film as purported to have been described on this factual list, that no other
documentation supports, that disputes a photo-journalistic icon of the 20th
century which has been well studied.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander