Subject: Re: [Leica] free travel
From: John Hudson <xyyc@home.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:48:35 -0700

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

> Come to Canada! Aside from your free plane ticket, your dollar is worth $1.53 here
> now and, in Montreal, you can have a great meal and hotel for much less than in any
> major North American city (I believe). A half hour's drive gets you into mountainous
> unspoiled countryside full of lakes and forests (and Bistro a Champlain!) and people
> speaking another language.

My wife and I flew into Montreal in March 1998 en route to points
further east. We experienced very poor service in restaurants for the
simple fact that the locals sensed that we were anglophones.  Mind you I
guess we got the same kind of friendly service that automobiles with
Quebec licence plates got in Calgary in the 1980s ......... the gas
jockeys took ten times as long to serve them as they did for the locals
and frequently just made then wait in line until they drove off to
another gas pump.

Vancouver, BC