Subject: Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:23:51 -0400

Mxsmanic wrote:

> After getting an M6, I was surprised at how accurately the primitive meter was,
> overall.  But then again, I suppose metering isn't really black magic, and most
> meters probably get most situations right.

This is so true. I think that on board photographic automation is subject to the
"90/10" rule meaning that a little bit of technology covers 90 percent of the
situations in which one finds oneself. Dealing with the remaining 10 per cent gets
very very expensive. The basic deal with metering has yet to change. You come up
with two numbers which define the amount of light to admit to the system, transfer
them to the camera, and you then take your shot. Someday digital technology will get
to the point where you can have an image area made up of billions of pixels, and an
exposure meter with a similar number of pixels such that they exposure of each pixel
can be individually controlled.

> After using an M6 for a while and being forced to go back and think about ISO
> ratings, f-stops, and shutter speeds again, I finally figured out that in a lot
> of situations, you can just guess the correct exposure and get things right.
> This is certainly true for daylit scenes, and it is even easier if you are
> shooting negative film (although it works even with slides).

This, too, is so true. How often do we go outside on a sunny day with a fancy
camera, look at what the meter says, and go, "OK sunny sixteen. Iso 100. That means
1/100th at F16. This super slick meter has it right. I'll take the shot. It ain't
yet rocket science, and I often suspect that the way automatic cameras are marketed
lead us to believe this is far more complicated than it is.

Barney

Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Message from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)