Subject: RE: [Leica] advice on buying a leica
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:59:17 -0400

> get a new M6.85 TTL body, so i'll have the 3 year passport warranty, etc.

Good choice if you don't wear eyeglasses or (if you do) never have need for
the 28 framelines.  Personally, I prefer the .72x finder (but I wear
glasses).

> get a used summicron-m 50mm f/1.4.

The f1.4 is the summilux; the summicron is the f2 50 mm lens, and it's a
great choice.  If you prefer a focusing tab and removable hood, get the
version prior to the current one; otherwise, get the current version.

The 50 summicron represents the best value (IMO) in the Leica lens lineup.
But then I happen to like the 50 mm perspective.

> i'm thinking the price of a used M6.85 is so close to the price of a new
> body, which will include the warranty, that i might as well get a
> new body.

Good thinking, especially if you can buy it on a Leica Day at a local shop
(extra 10% discount).

> the lens will be significantly cheaper, though, and i figure there are a
> heck of a lot fewer things to go wrong with a lens.

True, but the 50/2 is pretty cheap even when new, and quite a deal with a
Leica Day discount plus $200 rebate.  If you want the current version, I'd
get it this way and have the warranty.  For other (more expensive) lenses,
buy used or gray (just my opinion).

Dan (also a Billy Bragg fan)

Replies: Reply from brad daly <bwdaly@hiwaay.net> (Re: [Leica] Billy Bragg..)
Reply from Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca> (Re: [Leica] Billy Bragg..)