Subject: Re: [Leica] Resolution vs. Contrast?
From: Phil Stiles <stiles@s-way.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:11:27 -0400

A very interesting comparison. Back in the '60s we used to say the
German glass had the resolution, and the Japanese the contrast. The
"Leica look" was softer, but with more shadow detail. Photojournalists
were said to go for the "bright" images with Nikon (which is notorious
for needing to be stopped down.) This is enough dim memory, rumor and
innuendo for one day. I'll guess #1 is German and #2 Japanese. But like
the finish to wine, we know the proof of the pudding is in the Bokeh!
Thanks for posing this puzzle.
Phil Stiles NH USA