Subject: Re: [Leica] Home depot and the rest
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:12:09 -0700

Austin,

For a cop to say "I saw him speeding" is not hearsay.

I'm not aware of any U.S. jurisdiction that limits the hearsay rule to
criminal proceedings. There are many exceptions to the hearsay rule, but the
rules of evidence apply to both criminal and civil proceedings.

Are you sure that speeding tickets in Masachusetts are really "Civil"? I
would be interested to learn more about this. A civil proceeding does not
result in a finding of "guilt." It may be that, as in most U.S.
jurisdictions, they are infractions. Meaning that they can only be punished
by a fine and that the accused is not entitled to appointed counsel or a
jury trial. In court trials on infractions, judges are often very relaxed
about the rules of evidence and often allow hearsay in that they probably
shouldn't, but that's another story.

If trespassing were not criminal, how would you propose to deal with someone
who decided to pitch their tent in your front yard?

Bryan