Subject: Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

Mxsmanic wrote:
> ... having never read a coherent explanation
> of what matrix metering does, I prefer not
> to use it anyway.

Matrix metering (as implemented in the F5, which has the best matrix
metering of any camera using this technique) uses an array of sensors
to examine the scene to be photographed and compare it against a
database of known lighting situations in order to determine both the
best overall exposure and the appropriate exposure compensation to
apply. . .  (Snip) . . .

> * I would never give up the R8's flash metering (F)
> mode for any of the other fancy bells & whistles
> the competition may have to offer.

For what it's worth, the flash metering on an F5 is superlative.  It
has invariably produced an essentially perfect result for me.  I hate
flash and try never to use it, but if I know I must use flash, I take
the F5 with me, as it can handle flash better than anything else. . .
(Snip)

Thanks for your excellent explanation of matrix metering in the Nikon
F5. I understand, though, that it's more sophisticated than the R8 in
this regard. Still, I suppose I should give it a try.

On the second point to which you responded, I think you may have
misunderstood my meaning. By flash metering in "F" mode, I meant the
R8's ability to act as a flash meter with manual flashguns, to help
select the best lens aperture for correct exposure of the subject
before taking the shot. It uses selective (spot) metering for this
function. You may have been unaware of this feature if you're not
familiar with the R8.

Firstly, you select what you estimate to be an appropriate aperture for
the lens, select "F" mode on the R8, switch on the flash in manual mode
and wait until it 'comes to the boil', aim the camera so that the
circle in the viewfinder that indicates the selective metering area
covers the part of the subject you want correctly exposed, then press
down the depth of field preview lever. This fires the flash, without
firing the shutter, and the viewfinder display indicates how much over
or under the exposure would be. You can then adjust the lens aperture
in accordance with the display indication and take the shot.

The R8 also has the usual TTL flash control, to which you refer, if
used with SCA 3000 compatible flashguns (e.g. Metz 32-Z2 flash with SCA
3501 module). It uses integral metering and works pretty well with most
"normal" subjects. For a subject against a very dark or very light
background, however, being able to use the camera as a spot flash meter
is very useful. Few other cameras can do this.

I, too, don't like to use flash. However, please remember that in
Indonesia, where I live, daylight lasts little more than 12 hours every
day of the year and twilight is very brief. Most people (self included)
don't get home from the office until it's already dark. This doesn't
give much opportunity for daylight photography on weekdays, so I use
flash more often than I would ideally like.

Regards,

=====
Ray