Subject: Re: [Leica] the "other" f1
From: "C. L. Basso, K.C.S., M.Sc." <urizen@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:08:28 -0400

>I have heard that the C*n*n lens is optically inferior to the Leica Noctilux,
>but I've never compared the two directly (I prefer N*k*n, too).  There are
>some
>images taken with the C lens on photo.net.

Never shot the Canon and the Noctilux (don't own one yet - I kind of *like*
sleeping in the house) side-by-side, but I can say that, IMNSHO, the Canon
is inferior to the now discontinued 58/1.2 Noct-Nikkor - except at
f/1.  Only problem with the Nikkor is that it makes a rotten "all-round"
lens - it's heavy, and performance definitely degrades past f/8.  Coma
correction is excellent.

>Which brings to mind an unrelated question:  Of all the Leica users out there,
>particularly Leica M users, who also have SLRs, how many are using C*n*n
>equipment as opposed to N*k*n equipment, and why?
>
>I tend to lean towards conservative quality rather than technological state of
>the art in photography, which explains why I like Leica rangefinders (surely
>among the most conservative of cameras, and among the best built), and Nikon
>SLRs (much more conservative than Canon, and also better built, IMO).  I
>suspect
>that I am not unique in this respect.

No.  You are not.  When I decided to modernize somewhat from my
well-battered FTn Photomic so that I could meter with a hat on I looked at
the offerings from both.  The F4s was (and is) *far* more comfortable than
the EOS-1, built like a tank, takes good ol' AAs instead of weird lithiums,
and you can tell what it's set at *without* having to turn the damn thing on.

ObLeica:  Despite owning the 35/1.4, 58/1.2 Noct, and 85/1.4 Nikkors, I
find myself going back to the good ol' M and 50/2 'cron more and more for
"available dark" work.  About all I use the Nikons for any more is the
180/2.8 EDIF and 300/4.5 EDIF.

- --
C. L. Basso, K.C.S., M.Sc.         Walled Lake, Michigan
"The whole of life is /nothing/ more than questions that have taken unto
themselves shape, and bear within themselves the sum of their own answer:
and answers that are pregnant with questions.  Only fools see it otherwise."
  -- Gustav Meyrink