Subject: RE: focus stiffness (was [Leica] Black Hole?)
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:37:36 -0500

Ted

>>Unfortunately, mentioning "shining the light through the lens from skinny
end to fat end" and seeing all the 'orrible specks, ;-)  you may have
opened a major can of worms for weeks to come on the LUG.<<

I remembers someone asking why optics aren't manufactured in a high tech
"clean room". I say, probably because it would add to the cost and the lens
wouldn't perform any better.

I've put a few horrendous scratches in lenses over the years. Suprising that
they had no impact on performance that I could see. I only clean the front
elements of my lenses once every few months, and I use them all the time. A
little dust I can live with. What I don't like are mechanical problems.

Dave