Subject: Re: focus stiffness (was [Leica] Black Hole?)
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:29:55 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/01 4:59:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mxsmanic@hotmail.com writes:

<< This reminds me a bit of the very slight play I've noticed in the aperture
ring
 of my 90mm Summicron APO.  The Leica place confirmed that it has just a tad
more
 play than average (perhaps twice as much).  I can get it adjusted under
warranty
 for two years, so I'm thinking about it.>

Hello mxsmanic:

I don't mean to quibble but <twice as much play as average> doesn't sound
like <very slight play>. But that's not why I write.

<< However, the real purpose of the lens is to get nice pictures.  This 90mm
lens
 is perfect, as far as I can tell.  Adjusting the lens would require sending
it
 back to Germany and taking it apart.  How would they take it apart and
guarantee
 not so much as a dust speck on any of the elements?  What if they disturb the
 optics while fixing it?  I'd end up with a tight aperture ring, and a blurred
 image.  This is why I am leaning towards doing nothing.  >>

Here's why. There is a third choice: when I read your post and thought back
to the fairly frequent posts on problems with Leica equipment still under
passport warranty and the difficulties many are having with service from
Leica/Northvale and Solms, I telephoned John Van Stelten who runs The Focal
Point independent Leica service and told him of your problem and similar
reports of aperture rings and focussing helixes that were either too stiff or
too loose. Obviously he cannot predict exactly what is causing a particular
problem nor estimate a cost to fix without examining the lens. His
guesstimate, barring some serious defect in component or assembly, would be a
cost of a $90. - $100. And like the other well-known and reputable
independent Leica service people, he will give a client an estimate and if it
is not acceptable, the only cost will be return shipping.

I have not had occasion to use John but I have heard nothing but good reports
about him from friends in LHSA. From those reports, I do not believe one
should have any concern about dust within the lens or badly assembled lens
elements or other components. His e-mail address is: John@focalpointlens.com
and tel # is 303-665-6640.

On the other hand, as several of our friends here have written, if it ain't
broke, just go forth and take pictures!

Seth       LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: focus stiffness (was [Leica] Black Hole?))