Subject: Re: [Leica] Back Pain & Bags
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:29:52 -0400

At 10:03 PM 6/25/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Back Pain Sufferers:
>
>This Domke talk got me to wondering whether any of y'all with low-back
>trouble -- minor, major, re-built -- might recommend a carrying solution
>that can handle a pair of Ms, up to four lenses, minimal accessories and
>reasonable amounts of film while traveling well in an overhead bin and not
>aggravating the spine (too terribly much)when being hefted about. Getting
>where I'm going intact with gear that's intact are my primary concerns;
>working conveniently out of the bag is secondary.
>
>Greg Rubenstein
>gcr910@msn.com

         The absolutely best back pain advice is to prevent it.  Go to the
local Y and do back and abdomen strengthening exercises on the weight
machines.  Whatever time you have to spend is well worth it.  I had
problems for years but now go to the Y at least 4 times a week and can now
bench-press a 60 pound camera bag into the overhead compartment several
times a day and still feel great!  The exercises have not improved my shape
at all - still "matronly" - but they have increased my endurance and
ability to carry camera equipment for long distances.
         I would not be able to travel if I didn't force myself to get up
at 5 AM four times a week and go to the Y.  The bag is incidental, but I
love my LowePro backpack and my Tenba backpack - LowePro for long trips and
Tenba for short ones.  A small waistpack that will rotate to fit the small
of your back when riding on rough roads or mules is very helpful for
carrying one extra lens and batteries.  A vest is essential for film and
anything else.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com