Subject: [Leica] Pointing and tripping the shutter (shooting)
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:02:29 -0500

david.rodgers@xo.com (Rodgers, David)6/28/011:48 PM

> Is all pointing the same?

Fascinating topic.

And in my experience, every approach and format yields different
results.

A view camera used with ground glass focusing, on tripod or
studio stand, insert film holder, talk, with cable release in
hand, yields a completely different relationship with the subject
than a hand held rf 4x5 with grafmatic holder in it.

Studio different from location.

Even using prism vs a waist level finder on a blad sets up a
subtle difference in comfort level with the subject.

As does using a tripod vs hand held.

With 35mm It often feels, when photographing candids at an event,
that I have to photograph for 20 - 30 minutes, before everyone
just forgets about my presence, and stops giving me fake smiles
when they "think" I want them. While with large format equipment,
everyone gets bored with the process much faster. Medium format
seems to suggest to them that they have to "stand and deliver".

> Why is it that adults are more nervous about being
photographed, than are
> children?

Because adults care wa-a-a-y-y too much about their appearance.
Children love to look at themselves - silly, sad, clean, dirty,
whatever - no problems with lines, wrinkles, warts, etc. The
problems begin with acne age folks and rarely lightens up, except
with those who have become comfortable with the aging process and
their place in it. Men generally feel a bit more comfortable with
their appearance than the ladies, in my experience.

George