Subject: OT: 20th Century Box (was Re[2]: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:31:09 +0100

Hi,

> the difference being that the *electronic* computer required a genuine
> paradigm shift (newtonian -> quantum mechanics) in physics,

computers are independent of the materials they're built from - they
don't have to be electronic. We could build a perfectly valid computer
out of Sumerian cuneiform tablets. They are almost entirely the product
of a single 20th-century mind - Alan Turing. To this extent computers are
a pure product of the 20th century, Jacquard, Leibniz, Babbage et al.
notwithstanding.

Emil Post arrived independently & simultaneously at the idea of what we
now call a Turing machine.

http://www.turing.org.uk/
http://www.abelard.org/turpap2/tp2-ie.asp

It's fortunate (or not, depending on your point of view) that his
idea arrived at a time when such a machine could be built and be
practical, but it doesn't _have_ to be electronic, or baked mud, or
grey-matter.

Here's an interesting question: did the people who thought up the name
and logo of Apple Computer know that Turing committed suicide by
taking a bite out of an apple laced with cyanide?

- ---

 Bob

mailto:bob@web-options.com