Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW26--impressions from New York
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 22:52:43 +0200

When I lived in New Jersey in the first half of the 90s I often came to
New York, but always on weekends. In the past year I have been there
twice on business, most recently last week, and this gave me the
opportunity to observe the life of this great city during the working
week. One thing that struck me was how much people work. It seems that
in Manhattan at least, even breakfast is now a meal to be eaten outside,
either at the office, or on the way to the office, like these two
fellows:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/26alt2.jpg

Quick meals like that are frequently bought from street vendors like
this guy, pictured here setting up his shop around 7 a.m.:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/26.jpg
(this is also my main picture this week)

All this cannot be good for you, so people work out with a vengeance at
all sorts of hours. This picture was taken around midnight across the
street from my hotel:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/26alt1.jpg

Finally, everything seems bigger in New York than in other cities,
including garbage:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/26alt3.jpg

All shots taken on Ilford Delta 100 with M6 and either 35mm or 50mm
lenses.

Thanks to the NYC LUG for hosting me at their meeting Wednesday night.
Having said all the above, I love coming to New York, it is one of the
world's great cities and has an energy that is not matched anywhere else
I have been. If only they could solve the problem of public toilets, or
lack thereof...

Comments welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland