Subject: Re: [Leica] Naive question re scanning
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:46:47 -0700

Herbert & Lee Kanner wrote:

> I am interested in putting the occasional picture up on a web site.
> I am not interested in producing prints from scanned images.  I am
> also not particularly interested in spending big time for a 35 mm
> scanner.  So the question is: if an 8 x 10 RA-4 print is scanned on a
> flat-bed scanner, then, considering the low resolution of a computer
> screen, will the results appear to be comparable to those produced by
> a slide/negative scanner?
>
> If the answer is "yes," what quality scanner in terms of number of
> pixels should I get, and are there any recommendations for brands.
> My computer has both USB and FireWire.
>
> Herb
> --
> Herbert Kanner
> kanner@acm.org
> 650-326-8204

I think if the a 4x6  RA-4 print (c print) or type R print is good than a scan
on a lower end flatbed can come out really well. Amazingly well. You get detail
you dont even see in the print. Its hidden in the paper base i guess. I have a
better but older flatbed and scans from small prints are really comparable to
what i get from negs which are of course much smaller. But from this bigger
prints i get much bigger files and it's quite luxurious.
I think lots of websites have scans we think of as high end or at least from
negs which are really done this way instead.
8x10 would be overkill you can do fine with 4x6's as i said and certainly 5x7's
to scan from.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA