Subject: Re: [Leica] Naive question re scanning
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:01:18 +0200

Herb Kanner writes:

> So the question is: if an 8 x 10 RA-4 print
> is scanned on a flat-bed scanner, then,
> considering the low resolution of a computer
> screen, will the results appear to be
> comparable to those produced by a slide/negative
> scanner?

In terms of resolution, yes, easily.  In terms of dynamic range, no.  Monitors
have more dynamic range than paper prints, so you can't exploit the range of a
monitor fully without a scan directly from film.  However, if it's a good print
and a clean scan, the difference may be too small to be worth worrying about,
depending on your objectives.  If the print is satisfactory to you, you can
certainly get that scanned and onto the screen, if you wish--you just won't have
the range of the original negative (but then again, you don't have that on the
print itself, either).

> If the answer is "yes," what quality scanner
> in terms of number of pixels should I get,
> and are there any recommendations for brands.

For prints, any good flatbed scanner will do, and they all have more than enough
resolution for scanning for Web display.  I've always liked HP scanners myself.

Replies: Reply from "Mark E Davison" <dmark8@qwest.net> (Re: [Leica] Naive question re scanning)