Subject: Re: [Leica] New member
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 00:01:22 +0200

Hi Martin and welcome!

You will find that people use all sorts of Leica M bodies, perhaps with the
exception of the M1. I will hazard a guess though that the most common ones are
the M6 and M3. The M6 has the advantage of the built-in meter, which is
surprisingly accurate. It comes in three main versions, 0.58, 0.72, 0.85. The
numbers refer to effective rangefinder base. I have the 0.58 (useful for wide
angle lenses) and the 0.85 (useful for longer lenses), as well as an M3. The M3
is meterless but has the amazing "Leica feel" when you press the shutter
release, more so than the M6. It also provides the most precise focusing of all
Leica Ms due to its 0.91 rangefinder.

Nobody but you can decide which one is right. I suggest you go to Foto Nivo
Schweizer in Amsterdam (Haarlemmerdijk 46), talk to them and try the different
models. They have a good Leica selection, both new and used.

Groetjes,
Nathan

"Giphart, Martin -Syntegra NL" wrote:

> For now I would like to know what M-bodies are used most and why? Which
> bodies should be avoided and why? How useful is a built-in lightmeter (M5 +
> M6) for I am used to use an external one with my Hassy?

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch