Subject: Re: [Leica] another two weeks in leica m3 hell!
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 09:57:59 -0400

David wrote:

>Where is a good spot?  I always find myself riding my bike through the
>slums because there are always people out who don't mind having there
>picture taken but everyone takes pictures of the slums.

Funny! When I was about your age I foolishly tried to get admitted to a
photography program at a famously lefty polytechnic (college) in London.
They reviewed my portfolio but were horrified to see no de rigeur
pictures of unemployed people, slums, etc. I explained that there really
weren't any where I lived and that I thought it was important for a
photographer to photograph what he knows. My answer went down like a
lead balloon. :)

>Where can I a 17
>year old get pictures of the rich.  I snuck onto a golf course once but

>those people aren't very receptive to photos and there boring shots any

>ways.  The country club won't let me anywhere near.

The difference is that "rich" people do their hanging out on private
property, so you need to just write to them and ask nicely. For this
your age is a huge advantage. Invent an art or school project, describe
yourself as an aspiring young photographer and you will probably get
invited.

The trick is to realize what pitch is likely to be accepted and what
won't. A country club manager can't give you permission to photograph
his guests. But a member who is hosting a private party at a country
club might very well and this will overrule the manager. The CEO of a
company might give you carte blanch to roam his firm but if you try to
sneak past the receptionist you will get ejected. Another tip: powerful
people love to have their photographs taken looking powerful. Do a
"captains of industry" project and I guarantee you will be admitted to
some interesting places - maybe including that country club. Another
place to try is associations that host conventions that professionals
attend. The PR person for an association is usually in a position to
grant permission and will likely just give you a press pass. You can
also try the same thing at your state capitol by approching your
representative or state senator.

Final tip: Use a Leica. Rich people (I mean the educated rich, not pop
stars and actors) know what they are and will take you seriously if you
use one!!

Best of luck.

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] another two weeks in leica m3 hell!)