Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 w/.58 finder: my experience
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:52:26 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/01 11:17:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     RE: [Leica] M6 w/.58 finder: my experience
 Date:  7/3/01 11:17:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  m.sadat@verizon.net (Mehrdad Sadat)
 Sender:    owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 To:    leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

 Good to hear from you Tom!! how long have u been shooting with the Bessa T
 and how do like it? I just ordered one
 _____________________________________
 Thanks, Mehrdad >>

Mehrdad, I have been shooting with the Bessa-T since early February. Just to
give you an idea, the # on the camera is 000001, the first production T! I
really like it, although it takes a bit to get used to first. It is somewhat
akin to shooting with a screwmount Leica 1C/1F. You focus with the
rangefinder (very contrasty and bright and with a substantial diopter
adjustment built in) and then move your eye to the bright-line finder. This
is of course slower than with the combined finder of a M, but not by much. I
tend to use it with wide-angle lenses, 21/24/25/28 and up to 35. The M-mount
is very precise and the lenses snap into place with a solid feel. Somehow the
T body feels more rugged than the Bessa-L/R bodies. The covering is different
and affords a better, less slippery grip than the earlier bodies. The meter
is the same as the L/R bodies, i.e. a very good one and for some reason it
does not drain batteries like the M6 TTL. The Trigger-winder is small and
unobtrusive, it is less smooth than an original Leicavit or my Rapidwinder,
but that has to do with the fact that is has a second gear in it, as the film
winding movement is reverse from a M-camera. It is not rough by any means,
just needs a bit more effort. The lever is neat, it has an interesting lock
on it, you push it backwards to unlock and fold in. Cute idea, but it also
has a tendency to catch on your clothing and release. You then have to fold
it in and unfold to lock again. Not a big problem and it does not happen that
often. In short, I like the T and in spite of the top-mount
finder/Rangefinder set-up, it is a very easy camera to get along with. Let's
face it, how many metered M-mount bodies are there around at $ 475. You can't
even get a decent M2 for that price anymore. I did try mine out with stuff
like the 75/1,4 and 50/1 and the Rangefinder worked perfectly on both, even
at the critical wide-open and close focus range. Also look into the 21/4
Voigtlander lens, it is a killer wide-angle. Small enough to keep in a pocket
all the time (same barrel as the 25/4 and as sharp as a 21/3,4 Super-Angulon
as well as coupled to the rangefinder of the Bessa and Leica.
Well, the sun is shining and I am set to take a walk on the beach. Have to
build up those muscles to be able to carry some more lenses and cameras.
All the best and Happy July 4th,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC