Subject: Re: [Leica] another two weeks in leica m3 hell!
From: Phil Marcus <pmarcus@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 18:25:14 -0500

I was as George Bush (elder) Park yesterday and saw the incredible soft
light falling on my wife and two Australian Cattle Dogs.  I was shocked, but
it was morning and a storm was moving in.  I was very glad that I had my
50mm lens with me, because that's the best lens for shooting large subjects
without the unnecessary melodrama of a wide angle lens. The resulting photo
was a delicate mix of colors and the perspective of my dogs and the coming
storm.

P.S. a note from Sergeant Phil:

I shot most of my pictures, even over a twenty-year period as a
professional, with a 35mm lens. Yes, the angle of view does tend to match
the observable field of the human eye minus peripheral vision. But there is
still an overly dramatic near-far relationship present that is (I think)
inappropriate for most pictures. I learned after many years that the last
thing an amateur photographer (and a lot of pros) will do is to approach a
subject, stand flat footed and take a straightforward picture of it before
all the rest of the fancy moves. Most commercial photography is learning to
do just that.