Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos
From: shooter@linux-info.net
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:57:54 -0400

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:07:03PM +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
> Shoter writes:
>
> > The first question I have for people is, why
> > random access?
>
> Those who have asked me about it have explained that they have a handful of
> images they like best and they'd like an easy way to get to them directly.
>
> > Personally I like to control the order in which
> > the viewer sees the images.  The strategically
> > laid out set of images and greatly improve one's
> > viewing experince.
>
> If you have a theme or connection between photos, that makes sense.  Mine are
> entirely random and unconnected, though, so there is no reason for me to control
> the order in which they are seen.

I do not wish this to turn into a big debate, but personally I believe that there will always be some type of "connection" between images from one photographer.

I believe that each of us develops an eye such that themes pop up in our work without realizing it.  I know for a fact that I do have a theme to my street photography.  That theme is normally people and/or things in the real world that have some type of contract in them and jump out at me.  One might not think there is much of a connections with that theme, but add in my style of shooting and look at my work, there is a theme.

Some people might want to try to stay away from a theme like that, but I take it and run with it.  From time to time I will change something but I enjoy creating and have a body of work that is not directly connected, but is connected indirectly.  In my opinion, the connect give me the ability to add to the viewers experience by controlling the order in which he/she views the image.

I guess I see the order of the image is to a set of images, what composition is to an image.  Just like a well composed image will lead the viewer through the image, I believe a well arranged set of images will lead the viewer through all the images.

Personally I think it is simply a matter of taking your work to the next level.  Take some 8x10 prints and play with their order.  See what happens, and MOST definitely get other peoples opinions.  I NEVER layout the order of images solo.  I have final say, but I like to know what others think.

> > If one must give random access, take a look at the
> > Micromedia photographer templates for Dreamweaver ...
>
> I have spent many hours pruning and cleaning the absolutely incredible mess that
> Dreamweaver generates for HTML, and I have no desire whatsoever to go anywhere
> near that piece of junk unless I am paid for it (as I was the last time I
> endured it).

Sorry about that.  I did not mean that you should buy and use Dreamweaver.  I simply liked the idea they had going.  How it was implemented does not matter a hill of beans to me:)

> > Using JavaScript, display the image the user
> > clicks on in a "frame" above the four thumbnails.
>
> What about users that don't have Javascript?  My current gallery has the merit
> of being usable even without Javascript.  In fact, that is true for almost the
> entire site.

Do that many people really not have/use JavaScript?  The only two browser I can think of that does not have JavaScript is Lynx, and I personlly don't care for viewing images on Lynx <g>

Shooter

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)