Subject: [Leica] 12mm review note from LUG
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:40:35 -0700

Hello Michael,

>On another topics, I also got the Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Heliar last
>week. There have hardly been any online reviews so I've added mine.
>My prelimiary impressions can be found at
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/12mm.htm
>
>Michael Reichmann
>www.luminous-landscape.com

I've just had a look at your 12mm write-up, and I thought I should
point out some errors in the text you might want to fix. I thought
I'd send this directly to you.

The 12 has a horizontal angle of view of 112 degrees, not 121. Its
diagonal angle of view is about 121.

You also mention "than its slightly wider 14mm f/2.8 SLR
competitors". They are narrower, not wider of course.

Further on you say that there is a small 'level' attached to the
lens. This would be handy, but you were obviously referring to the
small lever.

I've been using the lens since October and am very happy to have it
available to me. I've got the 77mm adapter, and have used a Schneider
Center filter at times with that. It helps, but it is a bit clumsy
and weird. I wouldn't consider getting one just for this lens, but
since I've got a selection of Center Filters from my LF stuff, It can
be used at times. Most times, the corner light falloff doesn't bother
me. Things get strange in the corners anyway. I've also put an 89b
gel behind the Center Filter and shot B&W IR. Not your usual
pictures. The LUG archives will have a small review I wrote about the
lens a while ago.

I got the double shoe and level for it as well, and this works fine
for horizontal shots.

Since I do mostly architectural photography, I'm heavily into
wideangles. At present I still have a Hologon 15 for the Leica, which
got honorably retired when the 15 Cosina came out, and 21's etc. for
my Leicas. Also the 15 Nikkor, Hasselblad SWC, Xpan 30, Noblex, and
35, 47, 58, 65, 72 etc. for LF. The 12 is quite similar to the 35 on
6x12.

I enjoy your site a lot. Hopefully it will inspire me to update mine
sometime soon :-).

All the best,

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff