Subject: RE: [Leica] Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 22:01:47 -0400

> My main interested is in a replacement for the 50.  Currently I
> have both the 35 and 90 Summicron.  I am considering either the
> 75 or 50.  What are your thoughts and why?

I originally got it along with a 35/1.4 asph thinking I'd carry both (on
separate bodies).  But what I've found is that I don't get along so well
with the 35 (much prefer my 50 summicron)--which makes the 75 a bit
redundant (when carrying the 50 on the second body).  BUT I've also found
the 75 is my most Leica-like lens--that incredible 3D Leica signature in
spades--and so I just can't bring myself to ditch it.

I was also hoping the 75 would answer a limitation I felt with the just the
50--not being able to get close enough in some situations (shooting flowers,
for example)--without having to buy an SLR + macro.  But my 75 sample
misfocused (an inch or two too close) at minimum distance so it frustrated
that use; it's currently at NJ for this reason.

My latest thought is to try the 28 (Cosina or Leica) and see how I get along
with a 28-75 combination.  Could be I'll discover that all I need on the M
is the 50 summicron, along with a 100 apo on an R body.

Dan