Subject: Re: [Leica] was Q for the 75 now 75 or 80
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:18:25 -0400

George,

In Erwin's latest book he puts the 75M and the 80R together in his review
and notes slight nuances between the two; in other words no effective
difference between the two lenses optically.  So the real question is do you
feel comfortable beyond 50 on an M or is that the dividing line where you
start to reach for an SLR?  Whichever way you find your comfort zone then
that is the way to make your purchase.

The 75 has a rather long focus throw to facilitate coming down from infinity
to your point of coincidence without overshooting.  I've found that by zone
focusing first I can bring up sharp focus very quickly once the viewfinder
is at eyelevel.  There is nothing but praise for sharpness, smoothness with
fine detail, and wonderful out of focus rendering.

A Leica Shooter was asking prices.  If you are not in a hurry and don't mind
the first version with removable hood you can find ex ones periodically for
about $1300 but you have to be ready to buy on the spot.  The normal going
price for ex+ to mint seems to be around $1700-$1800 US.  That's just my
rough ongoing what things cost index.  Some of our dealer friends on the
list will likely be more exact.  Aside from the FSF friends Don Chatterton
has been very good to me on all levels as a dealer.