Subject: [Leica] small light focuses in low light...
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:42:25 -0400 (EDT)

>3) The M is a special camera today because it is the only camera that is
>both physically small and audibly quite.  It is also unique in its
>ability to focus in low light.

well, the stylus epic is smaller, quieter, focuses in no light (w/ ir
beam) and only costs $75. granted, it has no interchangeable lenses and
it's fastest f stop is 2.8 -- but the ql17 is also smaller, quieter, and
opens up to f1.7 for about the same price -- and digitial cameras don't
make a sound when they take a shot (unless you have some sort of audible
beep set). (and you can ask any court photographer where to buy a
soundproofing blimp for your favorite wizzbang flagship japaneese SLR and
shoot silently in church with a 300 2.8 and monopod till your hearts
content.) not to pound on leicas, but i think we're still back to reasons
one and two. (which were:)

> 1) they're so good they can use it effectively in their work
>    to produce images that endure for years
> 2) they make enough money at their day job to buy one and they
>    want to impress other photographers they meet at national parks
>
> with very few exceptions, we all fall into the second category. myself
> especially.

kc