Subject: [Leica] Where we post from
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:48:00 +0100

The London Borough of Croydon, England.

Croydon is widely considered to be one of the most uninteresting places in
the UK. This is just not true.
We have interesting 1960s office blocks full of interesting people in
interesting suits. A few of the men are so radical that they don't even wear
ties. We also have very interesting office blocks built even more recently
than the 1960s. Some of these are made of green glass. Not only do we have
an underpass (interestingly named The Croydon Underpass) but we also have a
flyover (bet you can't guess what that is called!). Our main street,
Wellesley Road, is the same width as the Champs Elysees, but it is in
Croydon, not Paris. We have very interesting trams with proper tram bells,
and a Leica shop, interestingly called 'High Street Radio'. We have two
branches of Jessops* and one branch of Anne Summers**. We used to have one
branch of Jessops and two branches of Anne Summers, but one AS closed due to
lack of support. Croydon's main claim to fame, apart from being the home of
the Home Office Immigration Department and Nestle' UK, is that David Lean
came from here (he left quite quickly), and someone once claimed that he
thought that Desmond Dekker might have lived here. The Queen Mother worked
as a part-time barmaid in one of our oldest pubs, The Dog and Bull. They
have a picture on the wall of her pulling a pint. She demonstrates the
correct protocol for pulling a pint when one is wearing white dress gloves.
Prince Charles also visited the pub. I don't think Lady Di would have been
seen de..., er, I mean, the Dog and Bull wasn't Lady Di's sort of place.

I also live in Dover, but spend more time in Croydon. Before living (call
this living?) in the south of England I lived in the north: Worsley (near
Manchester),  Wooler (near the Scottish border), Lemington, Kenton (both
near Newcastle), Oxford (definitely not near Cambridge), Barnsley (near
Barnsley. There's nowhere more famous than Barnsley) Hemsworth, Fitzwilliam
and Wakefield (near each other in the West Riding of Yorkshire). I spent 14
years as a coal miner, you see. I also spent three years in Singapore -
which does not have any coal mines.

Regards,
Malcolm
*Jessops was once a mail order discount photographic retailer that undercut
the high street shops. Now they have taken over most of the high street
shops.
**Anne Summers is a sort of semi-respectable high street vendor of ladies'
necessities, including practical, lightweight underwear and, I believe,
various mechanical contrivances intended for the purposes of uncomplicated
amusement. Anne Summers parties are said to be almost as exciting as
Tupperware parties, but as I have not yet been able to successfully
gatecrash either I am unable to comment.