Subject: Re: [Leica] to all japanese speakers
From: shino@ubspainewebber.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "Mikiro" <arbos@silva.net>
>
> Rei-
> I described the original meaning of this word several times on LUG. OK. I
> will do it again.
> "Bokeh" (bo-ke) is a noun that means being obscure. It is not a technical
> term.
> Indeed, we often use the word to describe second childhood of old persons.
> Sorry but I cannot give you its etymology.

sorry, i've only been on this group for a few months.
plus the archives aren't working so well right now.

does the dictionary tell us anything interesting?

i went to this on-line dictionary http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e
and it returned:

  boke
     (suf) (uk) idiot; fool; touched in the head from; out of it from;
                space case; Alzheimer's (impol)
  boke
     Japanese quince

  suf = suffix
  uk  = written w/kana (japanese alphabet)
  quince = a fruit

there are other interesting words which may be relevant:

  bokeru
     to grow senile; to fade

  bokeru
     to fade (colour)

  nebokeru
     to be half asleep; to be still only half awake

i'm sorry i never learned japanese, it has some amazingly specific
definitions (which have nothing to do with bokeh):

  tobokeru
     to play dumb; to play the fool; to be in one's dotage

  tobokeru
     to feign ignorance; to play innocent; to play the fool;
     to have a blank facial expression

  machibokeru
     to wait in vain

  boukei