Subject: [Leica] Pilgrimage
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:38:38 +1000

Pilgrimage: a pilgrim's journey, mortal life viewed as a journey. For
a rangefinder lugger, this may take many forms, but last weekend I
took one of them. Last Friday, after work (heat is work and work's a
curse so all the heat in the universe has gotta "cool-down") Helen
and I drove the 800 kms (500 miles) north to Canberra. The journey
was not without its "trials". The rain, the poor visibility, and then
nearing our destination the terrible barrier of two semi-trailers
wedged across the freeway as it cut through a rocky outcrop. We
backtracked and by-passed - to be a pilgrim.

Next morning, after feeding and walking the dogs, we parked outside
the old Parliament house, climbed the stairs and entered the portrait
gallery, where Tete a Tete is now showing. 120 photo portraits  by
the Leica wielding Henri Cartier Bresson, originally put together in
the late 1990's for the National portrait gallery in London. The
images ranged from a beggar on the streets of Warsaw in 1931 to the
"commissioned" work of the artist Freud in London 1997. It includes
works of photojournalism, capturing the images of unknowns, and works
of "access" with images of famous people, mostly artists nearing the
end of their lives. There are few images of youth. The collection was
stimulating inspiring and provocative. How could you include a
blurred flat plain image of the face of Picasso in a collection of
inspiring decisive moments? How can you call the image of poverty
portraited by a starving child a "portrait" of a person? How can
images from 1940 sit beside an image taken in 1990 and look as fresh?
The answers are in the technique HCB uses to capture life on film. No
staging, we see the individuals often in quite unflattering poses,
given a very ordinary look, captured as simple humans in the course
of their lives, without props or facades. The images are not always
technically perfect-- I was pleased to see he also misloads screw
mount leicas, and holds his focus closer than the subject, giving a
blur to the face, but holding it sharper than the background, letting
"bokeh" bring the subject into focus (a neat trick). The power of
black and white to "cross" the decades lent a continuity to the
exhibition which was reinforced by the continuity of technique. HCB
seems to have hit on a formula and stuck with it, thereby creating a
body of work with a definite linking thread.

Finally it kept asking the question -- what is a portrait? After we
had wandered around the rest of Australia's only portrait gallery,
the exhibition's radical nature certainly became more obvious. So
many "sittings", poses, props, makeovers, gimmicks and glitz. So much
of how we would like to see ourselves, rather than the way the pillow
sees us. But in my mind the final question was why so little youth.
Was HCB  sent out by Magnum to capture on celluloid the dials of
famous people before they shuffled off this mortal coil and made
their own pilgrimage, or is the artist aware that a portrait is the
image of the person, and a person is unfinished as a youth. Old man's
club or lively insight -- I would like to the think the latter.

Cheers from one weary pilgrim ;-)
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com