Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica ball head questions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:43:14 -0700

"Brian Walsh (E-mail)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've managed to confuse myself by looking at various Leica ball heads
> available on the used market. My needs are pretty simple: I want to be able
> to lock the head down securely enough to hold either my modest 35mm kit or
> my Mamiya 7 6x7. (The Mamiya is quite light for the format, and it uses
> nearly vibrationless leaf shutter lenses, so it shouldn't require a large
> ball head.)
>
> Is the current "large" ball and socket head stronger than older models? Are
> there other factors to consider before I make my purchase?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Walsh

The Leica ball head is one option but there is an amazing array of choices out
there of high tech high design ball heads out of Switzerland, Germany, France,
Japan made with a variety of high tech materials.
My advice is:
BRING you camera and tripod to a very large photo store.
GO to their ball head department counter or corner
PUT your camera on some of these amazingly cool ball heads and see how the feel.
FEEL is the keyword here because that is the issue.

Your ball head is your interface between your camera and your tripod they way i
see it.
A very important piece of gear. But it's a buyers market.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/