Subject: Re: [Leica] hc-110 and ilford hp5? am i crazy?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:30:00 -0700

tom wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >
> > Kyle Cassidy wrote:
> > >
> > > is there any reason i shouldn't be using hc-110 (dillution b) and hp5? i
> > > admit i have no other reason for using this combo than it provides the
> > > shortest development time and i'm a very impatient person.....
> > >
> > > kc
> >
> > It's darn convenient but does not compare well to good old D76 1:1!
> >
> >         ...which in my opinion does not compare very well to Xtol 1:3.
>
> I'm a big XTOL fan, but I find the combo of HP5+/Xtol to be grainy,
> clumpy, unsharp and just generally skanky.
>
> tv

I thought Xtol could make ANY film look good but perhaps that is the exception.
Personally I've never been able to get good results from HP5 or HP4 from ANY developer.
Pan F is sharp but awful grainy for an ASA 50 film.
But i think Ilford has truly got their act together with their delta line of
films; especially the 100 and 400.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA