Subject: [Leica] 1st Time Handling an M6
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@vol.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:03:49 -0400

Tom wrote:

One thing I noticed when focusing is that it reminded me of....an
autofocus camera.

Please don't shoot me.

On my AF cameras I set it so the middle sensor is the only active one. I

focus over that sensor, then recompose. Same thing with the M6 - focus
the subject, recompose.

I'm glad to know others have experienced this.

I switched from Nikon autofocus to Canon because I can focus the same
way I focus my Leica -- I point the central sensor at whatever I want to
be in sharpest focus, push the thumb button, the camera locks focus
instantly, and I shoot away. The camera remains in focus at that point
until I wish to change it.

This is made possible by what I consider Canon's greatest innovation:
Custom Function Four. Other makes of camera require you to focus, hold
pressure on the shutter release, reframe the picture, shoot, and then do
it all over again for the next shot. But CF4 puts the focus on a button
which falls naturally under my thumb and doesn't even need to be held
down once focus is set.

I have always thought of my Canons as my "electronic Leicas."

Dave Jenkins