Subject: [Leica] Lens CLA was: 90mm Tele-Elmarit Redux
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:57:34 -0700

Phil Marcus wrote:

> After reading much about the trials and tribs of the 90mm Tele-Elmarit and
> witnessing several specimens giving home and comfort to a variety of flora
> and fauna, I bought a relatively clean model.
>
> I, too, felt the lens could be sharper. It looked clean under close
> inspection, but there were marks indicating someone had used a caliper
> (poorly) to get inside. Sherry Krauter cleaned the lens and sent it back to
> me, and I just had the results of my first test of the cleaned lens
> processed.
>
> The result of the cleaning is nothing short of incredible! Where the lens
> once was flat, it's contrasty and saturated. I was fooled by a layer of
> slime! It informally tests as a rather nice piece of glass. Maybe not a new
> Summicron, but closer than I would have thought. I recommend a good cleaning
> to anyone who has one that produces slightly flat pictures. My guess is that
> the "variance in production quality" and fungus and lubrication travel
> problems might be one in the same.

I have always though of John Van Stelton for lens work and Sherry for the body.
Anyone know if for just lens cleaning if it makes a difference?

My thinking on JVS is that after disassembly and reassembly testing and
adjustment might require specialized optical instruments. Maybe, if needed,
Sherry has those too.  I wonder if a 'tune up' by either might improve a brand
new lens delivered by Leica.

Dennis