Subject: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: Ninka@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:18:20 EDT

I plan In a few weeks time  to go on a short trip to Denmark, and though I'll
only be there a few days  I hope to bring back some good shots from the
street life of  "wonderful
Copenhagen".  But I have a dilemma that I would like to get  solved before
leaving,  and I hope you  experts will give me some advice:
For my Leica M6 I have three lenses, a 50mm F2Summicron,  a 90mm F2.8 Elmarit
and a  28mm F2.8 Elmarit.  Of these I use the Summicron for at least 90% of
my picture taking,   Now for some time I have seen a lot written here about
the famous 50mm  F1 Noctilux lens, and since I value picture quality very
highly, do not like flash and am happy when I get a picture which I think
have bokeh , I  have seriously considered changing out the Summicron for a
Noctilux.  The drawback (aside from the expence) is that the Noctilux (which
I have not yet seen)  is so  heavy, my dealer says that the weight is the
double because of all the glass, and he also says that I will not get better
quality photos than with my Summicron, as long as I do not absolutely need
the extra light power.     I am certain that if I were a professional I
would have  had no doubt, but since I'm just a keen amateur,  getting much
satisfaction from my hobby,   would the change be  worth it?   I have always
believed  in having the best tools, this is why I bought Leica in the first
place.    Please advise me.  I hope to hear pro and contra to make the right
decision.
Karen Sorensen

Replies: Reply from "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)
Reply from Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)