Subject: Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:19:01 -0700

Annie RN wrote:

> I'm fairly new to photography.  I took the plunge and invested on a
> second-hand Leica M6 Classic.  I am very pleased with it.  But I'd prefer to
> use a separate meter.  I'd appreciate if you can share some suggestions.
>
> Best Regards,
> Annie

As you are new to photography why not do the obvious thing and use the meter in
the camera?
Have you had bad luck with it already?
I'd not complicate the issue but just go out and use the camera like it's
designed to be used.
If you then somehow found something deeply unsatisfying about how the camera
works then cross that bridge then. I think it's bad vibes to ignore a perfectly
operating meter in a camera. The M6 is a joy to use and use spontaneously. Put a
filter on and it compensates for that. Use a telephoto lens and it just meters
the center of what the lens sees.

If you had a series of cameras with no meters and loved you meter then perhaps
your choice on an M might be to get an M4. But starting out as you say you are
I'd not complicate things for yourself.
USE the camera. It HAS a meter. It's part of how the camera operates

Why insult the camera by ignoring it?

Have people who have more experience look at your negs and tell you if you are
exposing correctly.

I've used a hand held meter extensively in the last 2 months shooting with my
Hasselblad. It's a Gossen Luna pro digital F. It's a nice way to work which
makes you in a way more sensitive to light but is also often slower. When i shot
with my Leica i used it's meter. It was the obvious easy thing to do. And the
obvious easy thing to do is usually the best thing to do if you ask me.
Do you have a "role model" who does so?

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA