Subject: Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:09:39 +0100

Sorry , I was being a bit flippant before - I should have assumed you would
not be out under the midday sun.  I think your scenario is an ideal example
of the benefit of the Noctilux.  You have 100ASA film loaded and shoot in
reasonably bright light perhaps at apertures of f/2 to f/11.  However, you
then go into a gorgeous temple and find the light such that you can meter
1/60sec at f/1.  With people moving around in flowing robes you probably
want a fairly decent shutter speed to freeze them, and using the Noctilux
allows that.  With the Summicron on the lens you would be at 1/15sec and
perhaps not getting the clarity in the images that you want.  As I said
before, quicker to change a lens that the film, and even quicker to use the
Noctilux and not change lens at all.

I agree that at f/1.4 the vignetting starts to disappear and by f/2.8 the
Noctilux is getting close to the Summicron for image quality (at least to
the human eye, if not on the operating table of scientific analysis!)

Simon