Subject: RE: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:22:08 -0400

> During daytime I normally rate at 50/100 ISO (overexposing Fuji Superia
> 100/200 or Ilford XP2). At 50 ISO, to open up to f1.0 at 1/1000s you
> have to get 4 stops away from midday sunlight. Shade between tall
> buildings or an overcast day usually suffices.

Then there's always the Hexar RF, which buys you two more stops (to
1/4000s); but it means giving up some focusing accuracy (shorter EBL), which
could hurt your at 1 meter and f1.

I'm curious about this...

> The vignetting is pretty much gone by f1.4 (and I do use it at that
> aperture a fair amount - depending on how much I can overexpose my film
> when stuck at 1/1000s!). [stephen holloway]

...and this...

> I did use the Noctilux a lot that day at f/1.4 and was very impressed
> with the results. [ray tai]

Has anyone compared images from the Noctilux vs. the Summilux at f1.4?  Does
the Lux produce that same creamy bokeh?  If so, and if the Noct's aperture
ring stays pretty much glued to f1.4, why not shoot with the smaller lens?

Dan

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)
Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)
Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] Should I buy a Noctilux?)