Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600 vs Ilford Delta 3200 @ 1600
From: tom <thomas@bigdayphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:27:05 -0400

Guy Bennett wrote:

> It seems to me that it is easier to get good results from Delta 3200 than
> from Fuji 1600, which is a finicky film, IME.

and

George Lottermoser wrote about D3200 and DDX:
> This combination especially impresses
> me with its ability to pull printable tone out of the deepest
> shadows.
>
> Far surpasses Kodak's high speed film in terms of grain,
> tonality, sharpness, et al.

Which really just goes to show there's no substitute for shooting all 3
films and seeing what works for you.

My experience of the 3 is that Neopan 1600 has been easiest to process,
T3200 a little more finicky, D3200 positively a pain in the ass. For me,
"easy" means good results at close to the recommended times and with
different developers.

I've also found T3200 to have the best shadow detail, followed by
Neopan, then D3200. D3200 craps out really quick with underexposure.

I like D3200 at 1250, but not as much as T3200 at 1600. My T3200 results
are definitely sharper then my D3200 results.

The grain of neopan seems more obtrusive to me, so I don't use it.

Guy and George's results are valid. Lots of folks like D3200. OTOH, lots
of folks like T3200. Some folks like Neopan. You can get good results
with any of them, but the best results for you depend on, surprise, you.

If you use a lab to process your b+w, this is simple enough. Go shoot
some film and drop it off. If you do it yourself you have a couple of
weeks of work in front of you.

tv

Message from Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr> (Re: [Leica] Fuji Neopan 1600 vs Ilford Delta 3200 @ 1600)