Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: cleaning...
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:50:57 -0600

> I seem to recall reading that Leica lenses (at least the recent
> ones [?]) are
> coated using ion implantation and are very resistant to damage to
> the coatings
> from normal and presumably even vigorous cleaning.

I remember going to Leica UK and the guy there would empty out the contents
of the ashtray in the boardroom (shows how long ago it was) onto the front
element of the lens, then scrub away with some old chamois, with copious
blowing and breathing until it was clean, to show how tough the coating was.

Mind you, the same guy's normal cleaning method with any lens was to breath
on the glass and then scrub away with the end of his silk tie...

Tim A