Subject: Re: [Leica] projection screen
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:40:54 -0700

>I think the silver screens are more reflective, but also sensitive to
>viewing angle.  A friend has one and if you sit too close to the projector
>the amount of light thrown back hurts your eyes.  Almost like a mirror.
>
>Mike D

There are (were) three basic screen types: matte white, glass beaded
and silver lenticular. The matte white has the lowest reflectance but
shows no texture and is not very sensitive to viewing angles. The
silver lenticular, which is slightly gray looking with vertical
striations, has noticeably higher reflectance, shows a slight texture
if you sit close, and is not very sensitive to viewing angles in the
horizontal direction. The glass beaded has the highest reflectance,
shows a slightly grainy texture and is quite sensitive to viewing
angle so that you have to sit fairly close to the projection axis.
The latter two types, especially the glass beaded, are useful in
daylight projection, with low power projectors or very large screens.
If you have a new top line pradovit, get a good white matte screen to
show the slides at their best, unless you are going to do it in a
daylight situation.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design