Subject: [Leica] Grokking bokeh
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:31:16 -0700

I admit that I'm having an interesting time grokking this concept of bokeh
to the fullest. Perhaps I'm just too much of a neophyte.

Anyway....I have this image which I took on the 4th of July here in Davis,
CA while walking back from the bike races. Without a doubt it's the most
pleasing image in B&W I've ever made.

It was taken with an M6-TTL, a Summicron 1:2/50 (the kind that can do a bit
of macro if you have the goggles for it, which I don't), on Agfa APX 100
film. The day had a high thin overcast which I think is why I like this
photo so much. Shot wide-open at F2 standing as close to the subject as
possible.

I scanned the negative with a Nikon Colorscan 4000 at 4000 px/in monochrome.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/images/Leica/lanterns-72-web.jpg>

So, is this "good bokeh", or am I missing the point?

Thanks for any comments you may wish to share on this point.

One other thing: printing B&W. I pulled this into Photoshop and printed it
on my Epson 870. If I print in color mode there is a warmth to the image. If
I print it B&W mode it seems almost blue-ish and suddenly a grainy-ness that
isn't there in the image or in the version printed in color mode.

Perhaps this is a question for a different thread?

Thank you,

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Grokking bokeh)
Reply from "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch> (Re: [Leica] Grokking bokeh)