Subject: Re: [Leica] monochrome printing WAS Grokking bokeh
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:54:48 -0400

on 7/17/01 12:31 PM, Adam Bridge at abridge@mac.com wrote:

> One other thing: printing B&W. I pulled this into Photoshop and printed it
> on my Epson 870. If I print in color mode there is a warmth to the image. If
> I print it B&W mode it seems almost blue-ish and suddenly a grainy-ness that
> isn't there in the image or in the version printed in color mode.

In BW mode the epson only uses black ink so is forced to dither the image to
achieve a grayscale. This dither is what you perceive as grain. The blue
tone (I'd say green personally) is simply the tone of the Epson black ink.

On this printer you will generally get better results printing grayscales in
color. A lot of folks convert to duotones before printing in order to have
mroe control over the color temperature of the final image.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205