Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF markings on Leica lenses standardized?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:12:26 -0700

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Is there a specific convention that Leica follows when placing DOF markings on
> lenses?  I'm not entirely clear on which markings refer to which apertures,
> particularly for the larger apertures.  For example, what is the correspondence
> between the lines on the Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH and the apertures?  Some of the
> lines don't appear to be marked, but it doesn't appear to be something as simple
> as leaving half-stops unmarked or something like that.  For the smaller
> apertures, where lines are further apart, the intent of each line is more
> obvious.

OK Anthony! Here i am!!!
I've pulled out my Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH. (God i love the feel of the thing!!!)
I'm looking at it...at the marks (I'm good at that sort of thing) and they are
all bright and clear... there is a break in the middle of the far right f16 one.
I recall on one of my lenses the red dot IS the line but in this one there is no
confusion here.
The short little f4 lines are not labled but it is pretty obvious they are f4 to me.
In the field i just know the outside ones are f16. One in from there is 11 and
two in is f8.
That's where i am doing most of my zone focusing hyperfocal figuring and it
works out OK. Very readable. They are not different colors like the Nikons but
you know something? I hate that!
But figuring out where the 5.6 meets the lens from where it is marked would
require some real concentration. But are four in from either side really. Some
slightly intense experience with the lens you get one used to that.

I think this lens is marked nicely nicely Anthony! Is yours different?!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/