Subject: RE: [Leica] Voightlander 25mm skopar
From: Guy Bennett <2bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:17:47 +0100

I used the Skopar 25mm (on a IIIf) for a little more than a year, and sold
it this past May. All in all, I felt it was a good wide angle lens for a
screw mount Leica - small, well proportioned for the smaller SM body, and,
most important of all, capable of giving good results. It had the added
virtues of being relatively inexpensive and widely available, unlike other
wide angle lenses in LTM. The following shot was taken with the Skopar 25:

http://home.lainet.com/~gbennett/photography/photography_passage.html

I can't say how it compares with current Leica 28s ('cause I don't use that
focal length), but general consensus seems to be that it doesn't compare in
quality to current Leica wide angles of any focal length. (And yes, I know
that it costs about $1500.00 less.)

In the end, I got rid of mine because it wasn't rangefinder coupled. I
found that more often than not, I wanted to focus on something in the
foreground and couldn't do so with the Skopar. At some point, I'll probably
replace it with the new Cosina 21, which is RF coupled.

Guy