Subject: RE: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:54:15 -0400

Hi Annie,

> My other camera, an Elan 7e, doesn't have a
> spot meter as  well.  I use a battery grip with it so
> it's not as difficult to  hold when I take reading off
> the the palm of my hand or a grey card.

There's a grip available for the M as well (Leica part 14 405, usually
available for $90, a lot less gray or used); it may seem overkill to use it
with the 35, but I keep mine on all the time (I have 35, 50 and 75 lenses)
and love it.  It provides that same very secure one-handed grip you feel
with the BP-300.

The thing I love about the Elan 7 is how Leically quiet it is, and how
light.  What bugs me is that they took away both the prior version's
spot-meter and built-in infrared assist light.  The decisions camera
designers make can be so frustrating.

I've heard many good reports on the Gossen Luna Pro digital F.  I've also
seen heaps of praise for the Sekonic L508 (see
http://luminous-landscape.com/meters.htm, for instance), but it is much more
expensive than the Gossen.

I've been happily surprised at how accurate the M6 TTL partial metering has
been for me.  I shoot mostly slide film and I'm not all that careful with my
metering.  I am at least dimly aware when I'm shooting a mostly black or
white scene, and so close down or open up a stop or two, respectively, to
compensate under those circumstances.

I suspect under trickier conditions, the best bet (or at least the easiest)
would be an incident meter.  The Gossen would suffice for this (it does not,
however, have spot-metering).

Keep us posted on whatever you decide to do, and how you fare.

Dan