Subject: [Leica] meter choices response
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:40:02 -0400

With the additional information I would heartily recommend the Minolta
Spotmeter F.  If is relatively small, fits well in the hand, reasonably
intuitive to use even if you don't use it often, and the built in
illuminator falls perfectly under finger when the darkness calls for it.
Why the F version?  It is really nice to use in a multiple flash set up to
determine your real light ratio and you will want a flash meter some day.
Also, you can store up to four readings which works very well in figuring
out a scene.  It works pretty much like the OM-4, the Canon T-90, or the new
Canon EOS-3 in the multiple spot mode.  An example would be a scene where
you want emphasis to a highlight, the quick and dirty method is to meter the
highlight  twice and the shadow twice, voila, a good compromise.

Why the Minolta? The Pentax is a little larger, more expensive, runs on a
px28 instead of AA, and is not as intuitive to me which counts when you are
trying to meter something in the dark.  Also, to me, IMHO, disclaimer,
disclaimer the multifunction Sekonics just seem so, well, RONCO.  You know,
of pocket fisherman fame.  But my original advice still stands; go to a good
store and try out the ones you are interested in.  All of the above meters
will provide years of service, my Minolta survived a nine foot bounce when
the wrist strap wasn't on the wrist.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com