Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: panarama ding dong
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:55:15 -0400

on 7/18/01 3:16 PM, Eric at ericm@pobox.com wrote:

>> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/oddments/front-street-gray-tiny.JPG
>> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/oddments/front-street-gray-small.JPG
>> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/oddments/front-street-gray.jpg
>
> How did you decide where to manually cobble them together?  I ask because of
> the phantom head about 5/6th of the way to the right.  It looks weird.
> Other than that, I think both of your shots are fantastic.

thanks.

I cobbled where I could!

the phantom guy is a problem because he was standing on the intersection of
two frames, but by the time I took the second frame, he'd moved, and there
isn't enough overlap to either (a) remove him or (b) put him all in!

actually I don't mind this, it's a feature not a bug in my view

I learned a hell of a lot from doing this

a) like Andrew Nemeth says, you need a wiiiiiide lens and that means you
gotta get very close to people. The 25mm is too long really for this kind of
thing. I would say at least a 21, probably a 15 is best.

b) cover yourself as much as possible. Shoot lots of variations on each
angle. Try to make each frame self-contained as far as possible in terms of
people (people on edges are a problem). Someone on the streetphoto list
pointed out that you don't have to shoot it quickly, you could take a series
of shots one an hour from dawn til dusk and stitch that together if you
wanted... a neat idea!

c) the architecture/landscape is what glues the photo together so use it

d) unless you're on a tripod most of the stitching programs are more of
hindrance than a help, particularly with large files

e) doing it manually is very painstaking. Also if you are scanning off neg
then you have to make sure all your scanner exposures are fixed.

f) when people see the results they say 'wow'

g) doing this is a VERY good excuse to buy a digital camera.

FWIW I think Andrew's shots are WAAAY better than mine but he's a pro so
that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205